Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Wednesday Worktable

On today's worktable?

Absolutely beautiful lapis rounds with stunning gold colorations, and pale blue topaz cylinders.

This is a custom order for a lady who wants a "very dainty" 16 inch necklace. Her herbalist recommended she wear lapis around her neck area for a thyroid problem.

I never, ever make ANYthing with simple loops, because they are weak. One pull, and a project falls apart. So I had initially linked these beads together with wrapped loops, but there were 2 problems:
1) the links were way too long, because the wrapped loops took up so much space
2) the links completely lost any hope they had for daintiness - the wrapped loops are bulky visually

So I cut apart all the wrapped loops, and made the links with simple loops. I'll be connecting the links, alternating the lapis with the aquamarine, with some very fine sterling chain. I think the final result will be very pretty, and just what the customer wants!

And this will be the first piece of jewelry I've created with simple loops - proving, once again: Never say "Never."

2 comments:

dreaminofbeads / SAS Jewelry Designs said...

I am sure she will love it.

Loris Glassworks said...

Very nice, I love lapis and simple designs. thanks for sharing.
Lori In Atlanta