Sunday, September 30, 2012

Copper and Dichroic Glass Pendant

I just love this piece! Geometry is one of my biggest design inspirations, and this piece really demonstrates that.

I made these dichroic glass pieces myself, and wanted to see if I could work them into a cold connections design. I noticed how well then went with the Swarovski crystal Cosmic Ring, so I wanted to include that, too.

I cut out the copper square, and then decided to push myself with the etching, and I stamped 4 different textures on the copper square, creating 4 smaller squares that met in the middle. It's hard to see in the pictures, but they show up well in person!



I hit upon the idea of turning the Cosmic Ring into a porthole-type of window, so I pierced the center of the copper square, cutting a wide-enough hole for the ring, and left tabs to hold it in place.

Next, I needed to figure out how to form a frame for the window with the pieces of glass. Glass is fragile, so building on the way I attached the pewter tree to the copper earrings yesterday, I drilled small holes in the copper, and used 30g sterling silver wire to attach the glass to the copper.

I decided to hang the pendant from 2 holes on either side, rather than from the center. I added Swarovski crystal dangle to one lower corner for a little touch of asymmetry. Love it!

And it's available on Etsy!

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Gorgeous! I love the design and connections. Glass and metal is such a great marriage.

Karin Slaton said...

I love all your designs, but this is one of my favorites. Love how you decided to orient it on the chain.