Thursday, July 5, 2012

Zombie No More - The Iolite Fringe Necklace

It's done!


I am so excited (and relieved)!

The low down:
  • 30 feet of sterling silver wire
  • 75+ grams of seed beads
  • 2 strands of iolite briolettes
  • 2 strands of white freshwater pearls
  • 4 strands of silver vitrail Czech firepolish beads
  •  6 sterling silver crimp covers
  • 1 sterling silver locking magnetic clasp
  • well over 100 hours of labor

I absolutely love the finished necklace! The fringe cascades around the necklace, giving it gorgeous movement. It is 24 inches long, which is just perfect for this piece.


magnetic clasp - love the basket weave pattern!

fringe detail from the center (front) of the necklace

I am not going to rehash the history of this necklace - If you are interested, you can find most of it here. But, to make a long story short, I started this necklace in Fall, 2008, and put it away unfinished because it was so tedious. This year, I decided to commit to finishing some of my (hundreds of) unfinished projects, and this was the first one I tackled. I started it 4/13/12, and finished it this morning. There were quite a few set backs along the way, but I have something beautiful to show for all my work!

And it's available in my Etsy shop!

I want to thank my cheerleaders, who have cheered me on as I toiled: Maggie, Halinka, Karin, and Sonya. Thanks, ladies!

Now that this project is finished and off my worktable (!) I can move on! I have several NEW beadweaving projects picked out - I have been dying to start a new project! And after I finish a few of these new projects, I'll be digging up a new zombie - you won't want to miss that!

Maybe I should get some of this stuff, and spray all my new projects with a good coating, to make sure I don't give rise to any new zombies:

6 comments:

Sally Anderson said...

This is an amazing piece of art. I cannot imagine how you did it but I'm so impressed that you did! Gorgeous work!

dreaminofbeads / SAS Jewelry Designs said...

Yea!!! I almost physically jumped up and down...I did mentally :)
It really does look amazing, so glad you are finally finished.

Karin Slaton said...

It is sensational! (I knew it would be!) And I think I'm as excited to see it in its finished elegance as you are. I'm getting ready for a visit from my sister and her two teenage sons, who arrive on Saturday. Don't think the boys would enjoy piling in the car for a 2 hour drive to a BEAD store, but I'm heading your way to see this masterpiece in person the following week.

Sweet Freedom said...

Yay! Can't wait for you to come visit, Karin!

Maggie said...

Can't believe I didn't comment on this! In the mornings I use my iPad and don't really like typing on it. All of that hard work, frustration, ripping out and starting over paid off with a beautiful outcome. The necklace is gorgeous and I know in person it is even more so.

Any more zombies in your closet?

Sweet Freedom said...

Unfortunately, many many more zombies!