I played around with liquid enamel this week.
For these beads, I first applied the background blue enamel through torch-fired immersion. Then, using white liquid enamel, I painted (and I use that term loosely) some semi-floral bead cap shapes at each end of the beads around the holes. The enamel takes a long time to dry (24 hours) - and I could only paint one end of the bead at once, because in the process of flipping the mandrel to paint the other end, if the enamel wasn't dry, I just succeeded in smearing all the enamel I had just lovingly applied! Not that I actually did that, or anything - I mean, in THEORY that's what would happen. So it took a couple of days to get my floral "beadcaps" painted on.
Then, the blobby floral beadcaps looked too un-matchy and blobby, so I decided to further call attention to them by dotting them with sunny yellow liquid enamel, which also had to go through prolonged drying. And once dry, the application was too light, so I had to repeat it, several times. Then I added some yellow polka dots around the circumference of the bead, which also took several applications and prolonged drying time.
So what I'm trying to say is it took about 6 days to get to this point: this is how the beads looked BEFORE firing in the torch (The squarish bright white spots on the blue beads are reflections from my overhead lights):
And here is how they look after firing:
This was fun, but pretty labor and time intensive, so I'm not sure I'll do it again - at least not in this fashion, since my painting skills are basically nonexistent!
This is a pendant I did with liquid enamel - I may have already shown it, but here it is again:
In contrast to the painted beads, I will probably repeat this technique. It was fun, and it turns out I am REALLY good at painting blobs!