Monday, July 9, 2012

Bead Crochet Rope Necklace

I loved the earthy colors in this jasper, and the bead was absolutely gorgeous and very different on both sides, so I wanted to fashion a bezel for it that would bring out the colors AND be reversible. This was way more of a challenge than I thought it would be!

I tried peyote, repeatedly, but the process of pulling the delicas tight to cinch up the bezel on the second side (the first was no problem!) kept causing a bead to break, just as I was almost done. And the broken bead was always 4 or 5 rows back, and very obvious, because the breaking of the bead exposed fireline and disrupted the pattern.

But I kept repeating what I had previously done, and no surprise here: beads kept breaking under the tension.

Finally, I switched to netting, and it worked:

The other side looks identical, except for a different pattern in the jasper.

Then I crocheted a beaded rope to further draw out all the colors in the jasper, and finished it with copper findings:
I really love bead crochet - I need to do it more often!

No comments: