Thursday, March 1, 2012

Cubic Right Angle Weave, or Where Did My Wednesday Go?

Wow - yesterday started out with such promise, such a plan.... and then quickly spiralled out of control, and I didn't get to work on any of my projects. I hate when that happens.

However, something good came from it, as I ended up teaching myself cubic right angle weave in order to teach it to 2 customers who came into the shop and tried, without success, to figure it out from the horrid instructions in the April 2012 issue of Bead & Button. Very confusing instructions.

Cubic right angle weave (CRAW) has been on my to-do list for months now, so this pushed me to find a good tutorial, and figure it out!


This is the inch I stitched before quitting time last night (it took an hour or so just to figure out - probably took it apart 5 times, at least, in the process!) This is the core of the pattern, and after completing your length in this manner, you go back and add embelllishment. Naturally, I spent a good 30 minutes picking out colors, and was working with about 6 yards of FireLine (I hate changing threads in a beadweaving project!), but while the massive thunderstorms kept me awake last night, I decided to go a different way with the colors, so I'll be taking this apart and starting over with new colors, but that's no biggie.

But first, I have some Do-over Jewelry to finish....

Happy Thursday!

Edited to add: I have been getting a lot inquiries about this stitch, so here is the link to the video tutorial that made this stitch easy as 1-2-3. Unfortunately, the Mavens' blog is no longer active, but they have a lot of excellent information archived over there!

5 comments:

Karin Slaton said...

I love this stitch, but couldn't learn it from written instructions at all. I found help from a great video tutorial posted by gwenbeads.
She gives some very cool variations.

http://gwenbeads.blogspot.com/2011/10/how-to-video-on-cubic-right-angle-weave.html

Sweet Freedom said...

That's good to know - I'm going to have to go check it out!

dreaminofbeads / SAS Jewelry Designs said...

Still trying to learn.... I am so happy you figured it out cause now you can show me! :)

Sweet Freedom said...

No problema!

Sue Jensen said...

Found her tutorial and now I cant stop beading. this is a perfect tut. To learn.
Sue Jensen
Sujens jewelry designs