Thursday, May 24, 2012

Tila Flowers

I like the new 2-hole Tila beads from Miyuki - I have made quite a few patterns with them, and am always on the lookout for more.

One of my favorite things to make are Tila flowers (circular peyote + herringbone) - these are so versatile! You can come up with such a huge variety of color combinations, but also the composition and shape of the flower changes when you switch up the bead sizes that you pair with the Tilas - lots of fun!

Here is a bracelet/earring set that I created with Tila flowers, using on of my favorite Tila colors: matte black AB. This color isn't black at all, but a gorgeous blue iris with hints of bronze, gold, and purple. Love it!



These posts chronicle my love affair with matte black AB seed beads.

Here is another piece I created with Tila flowers - this one for the Bead Soup Blog Party Hop last fall:



Detail of the tila flowers stitched to the peyote ring


The Tila flowers use a lot of different sizes of seed beads, although you can control this a little bit - for instance, instead of using 2 or 3 different colors of 11/0s, you could limit it to one color. In the green and red flowers I made, I added a 3 mm Czech firepolish bead in place of an 8/0 - so you really can change it up quite a bit, you just have to vary the number of some of the other beads you use, so that no thread shows. These flowers work up super fast - so they are nice projects when you need a break from something!

No comments: