Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Another way to look at burned bridges

Comments on yesterday's post about burning bridges have led me to look at the topic again.


Let's face it - we've all burned bridges here and there -

Sometimes, we regret it later. Fortunately, with some careful ... reconstruction, you can actually rebuild a lot of bridges! So if you have bad feelings about a bridge you burned, you might want to try rebuilding!

But other times, bridges are better left burned -


Bad romantic relationships spring to mind: don't go back! If it was wrong the first time, it's more than likely not going to suddenly be right. At least, not in the long run.

This seems appropriate right now:

 And other interpersonal relationships are often better left behind - haters, users, negative people that bring you down...and I could go on and on.

Learn from the situation, and move forward, with the light from your burning bridges shining brightly!



Don't get me wrong - I am not advocating you go around burning bridges left and right. Approach all your bridges with careful thought, logic, and sensitivity before you make the decision to cross!  But if you've burned a bridge, you have 3 choices:
  • repair the damage
  • wallow in regret
  • move forward with your life

The choice is yours!

3 comments:

Maggie said...

Good follow up post. I remember an ex-boyfriend in college saying, "Girls always come back." Nope, never did with that one, but...

I think when we do burn bridges with care and the time comes to rebuild, we need to do so with caution and changed perspective. I keep leaving teaching and coming back to it, this time it's the bridge I need to build for this time in my life. Wasn't ready for it until now.

Sweet Freedom said...

Exactly, Maggie - every spark you ignite gives you new perpective! Good luck with teaching - I know you'll be fabulous!

Christine Altmiller said...

I am a burner. It takes me a lot to get to that point but when I do, I am positively positive I will never go back that way again.
That asshole quote is classic...I wish I read that way back when...but can still apply it to some of the less savory people of today.