Saturday, October 13, 2012

So pretty!

The glass is out of the kiln, and it is stunning:





A few closeups:
This is the large piece I assembled - I love the color palette, and can't wait to see how it does when I engrave!

This piece contains the gold loop I etched myself - it's lovely, but I am not crazy about all the black space around it. We'll see how it changes when I engrave.

This was my last minute stab at using iridized glass: it looks like crap, and that is my bad. This technique is new to me, and there are a lot of little ins and outs to it, and I completely forgot that the iridized glass needs to be black-backed. All the glass in the process does. And this piece of iridized glass is clear - and really a lot prettier than it looks here, but that's beside the point. The dichro I embellished with looks great! I'm not sure what I'll do with this - maybe just practice engraving on it? And then throw it away.... we'll see!

Speaking of engraving, here is the set-up:

The glass has to be kept wet during the engraving, so I chose a pyrex dish, which I filled with water and  a deep spongy piece of foam that I scored by walking around my business complex and asking all the shops if they had any packing foam destined for the trash.

This is what the Auto Glass Shop offered me:
It holds the water, and also dampens the vibration from the Dremel, so I think it is going to work well. Score!

I'm going to practice engraving for awhile this morning, and then start tackling the pretty dichro pieces.

6 comments:

Therese's Treasures said...

Beautiful Dicro pieces I am looking forward to seeing the next step in your process.
Therese

DeborahRead.com said...

They look great - be careful its pretty addicting and the engraving goes quite fast you will be surprised

Sweet Freedom said...

I see that, Deborah! I finished practicing, and just now finished scanning my Pinterest board for a few zentangles to try. Don't want to remove too much color!!

But the engraving isn't nearly as hard to control as I thought it would be (although I challenge anyone to try Zentangling with a PEN moving at 3000 RPM!)

I want to make more pieces, but what would I do with a back room full of finished dichro? Need to sell a few!

Maggie said...

Beautiful! I bought sheets of glass for fusing about three years ago and yep, it's still in the box. Need to change that one of these years. What am I waiting for?

Sweet Freedom said...

I don't know, Maggie. What ARE you waiting for?? LOL

dreaminofbeads / SAS Jewelry Designs said...

Wow those are amazing!!! They are already so pretty I can't wait to see what they look like when you are finished engraving.