Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pretty Visitor

Last week, when Bailey and I went on one of his "constitutionals," I glanced down the complex toward "Ye Olde Peeing Spot" and saw something dark on the wall of one of the other shop's doorways, about 60 yards from where I was standing. As I got closer, I realized it was a moth of some sort, although it was basically the size of a small bird. I went back and grabbed the camera, and this is what I captured:

Its body is 4 inches long - and it has beautiful wing markings, with lovely purples and browns. Just stunning!

I tried to find some identification info on Google, but couldn't. I DID find 2 other blogs where folks had sighted a very similar moth, and they didn't know what it was, either - any entomologists out there? Inquiring minds want to know what this is!

4 comments:

susanc said...

I did a little searching and it may be a Zale lunata – Lunate Zale Moth. This was the closest-looking one. Hope you can positively identify it! Here is the link: http://mothphotographersgroup.msstate.edu/species.php?hodges=8689

Sweet Freedom said...

Thanks, Susan - if that is not the same species, it is certainly close! Thanks for the link!

Unknown said...

Looks almost like mother nature was practicing her Zentangles on his wings:)

Sweet Freedom said...

You're right, Shereen, it does!