Thursday, January 26, 2012

Hot off the Worktable!

A new beaded cabochon:



And look what colors it is! Surprise! I keep working with these colors, over and over.

This pendant started with a gorgeous cab from my friend Mak, whose pieces are always so colorful, fun, and inspiring.

Here is the bezel in its early stages:

One side is higher than the other, so my finished bezel laps over the top on the lower side for a couple of rows (visible at the lower left, just to the left of the strip of matte copper seed beads crossing over the cab):

It's hardly noticeable, and certainly no big deal, but I know it's there!

After finishing the burgundy peyote weaving, I added the strip of matte copper seed beads across the top just for whimsy, and did a picot of slate gray and transparent copper seed beads around the top, and then a slate gray picot around the outer edges.

It had been awhile* since I wove a beaded bezel, and I kind of stumbled when I got to the backing, but I recovered nicely, if I do say so myself. And I enjoy this technique so much that I won't wait so long before I do another one, so my poor brain can't forget again. LOL.

This cabochon flashes so many gorgeous colors - burgundy and other reds, blue and slate gray, coppers - it is just yummy.

It would look great on a chain, or strung with complementary beads, or on a beadwoven rope.

And it is available now in my Etsy shop!

And since we are on the subject - here is the last cabochon I created a beaded bezel for:



*It has been a year, basically, since I did this piece - wow, where does the time go?
a) Look at the colors - there's my blue and burgundy, again
b) How can I forget how to do something I have done multiple times, and the last time was less than a year ago? A little scary...
c) This one is also available on Etsy!

4 comments:

Christine Altmiller said...

WOW! Gorgeous cab, colors, and beadwork!!! Earthy but really grabs attention. I am learning how to bead around the cab and blogged about it this week too. I am a beginner, but you...you make it look easy! The piece from last year is a real statement piece. I Love what you do :-)

Sweet Freedom said...

Thanks, Christine - off to look at your post!

H.T. said...

Hi:-)
Very unique and original forms of pendants.Also beautiful colors and nice bezel of the cabs.
Greetings-Halinka-

dreaminofbeads / SAS Jewelry Designs said...

It looks really great! Makes me want to do one...lol. I still need to finish my first ever attempt at bead embroidery that I started about six months ago!