Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Beaded Kumihimo Rope with Fossil Turritella Agate Pendant

I taught a kumihimo class last Saturday, and even though I didn't want to start anymore new projects (gotta finish some of the ones I have going already!) - it is much easier to teach the class if I am actually creating a piece of my own, that I can use for demonstration.

Here is the piece I made - I chose this piece because I had the stunningly beautiful fossil turritella agate bead, just sitting there, and if no one else was going to appreciate it, I sure as heck was! This stone (comprised of agatized fossil turritellas, or sea-snails), is so gorgeous that I felt a simple beaded kumihimo rope would be perfect for it:


I decided to hang the stone from a front closure (of Vintaj Natural Brass) simply because I needed a little bit of variety from typical necklaces with a front pendant/rear closure.

I enameled a couple of cones to cap the beaded rope.

Here is a close up of this beautiful fossil gemstone:

I used size 8 seed beads for the braid, in gold-fumed gray and opaque sand:
Detail:


It's available in my Etsy shop!

3 comments:

DeborahRead.com said...

Very nice color match - I do like that front closure

H.T. said...

Hi:
It's a very interesting pendant,also the precious one.The focal with fossils is incredible.Very beautiful work of Yours.
-Greetings-
-Halinka-

dreaminofbeads / SAS Jewelry Designs said...

Really beautiful, love the front closure.