Sunday, October 28, 2012

Flat Spiral - WIP

This is my first attempt at flat spiral:








It is a "graduated necklace" - not exactly graduated, but the portion in front is larger than the side pieces, because it has a large rondelle as the center bead, and the side pieces downsize to a 4 mm firepolish bead in the center of the spiral.

Flat spiral works up incredibly quickly; I have seen a lot of bracelets in this stitch, and have always wanted to try it.

The center portion of my necklace, with the rondelle, would make a terrific bracelet. I am withholding opinion on the necklace until it is finished; I'm not sure whether I like the effect. And I'm worried that the center portion won't lie flat against the neck. We'll see!

I have to stitch about 1.5 inches more on each side, and then I am going to create a hand-woven clasp, because nothing in my stash is quite right for this piece.

I'll show you the results when it's done!

4 comments:

H.T. said...

Hello:
The flat spiral is fine.I've tried it once in such a gold necklace.It is funny play to make it and the result is really perfect.Your necklace is very decorative,with the nice sort of beads and beautiful colors.
Warm Hugs-Halinka-

Therese's Treasures said...

Beautiful beginnings to your necklace. I really like the size change in the center. I hope the center lies flat for you. I have not done a whole necklace with flat spiral just sections in a necklace. I have made lots of bracelets with this stitch.
Therese

Karin Slaton said...

I hope it lays flat because you've woven a fantastic design - just love the colors you chose. And I want to see how you design the clasp. I love graduated necklaces, it's one of my favorite effects, and I'm pulling for this one!

dreaminofbeads / SAS Jewelry Designs said...

I have not finished mine either, maybe I am waiting to see if your will lie flat...LOL!